Michigan Burn Injury Attorney
HAVE YOU SUFFERED A BURN INJURY?
Burn injuries vary in severity, from first-degree burns to severe third-degree burns. Depending on the severity, skin grafts may be needed and there can be permanent scarring and disfigurement. Our attorneys provide burn survivors and their families with the information and resources to deal with a serious burn injury. We provide information, tools, and resources for surviving and recovering from a severe burn.
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious burn injury, please contact the Buchanan Firm today. Our Grand Rapids burn injury attorneys understand the law and the medicine involved in a serious burn injury case and are ready to fight for justice on your behalf.
Types of Burn Injuries
A burn can be described as any damage to skin or tissue caused by exposure to heat, chemicals, electricity or radiation. Burns can be caused by a variety of sources but the most common types are:
- Thermal Burns – Thermal burns are the result of contact with hot objects such as hot metals, scalding liquid, steam, or open flames.
- Chemical Burns – Acids, solvents and other chemicals can severely damage your skin and cause significant burns injury – especially with prolonged exposure.
- Radiation Burns – A radiation burn occurs when the effects of radiation cause damage to the skin or other tissue. The most common type of radiation burn is a sunburn caused by UV radiation, but radiation burns can occur as a result of exposure to X-rays or even radiation therapy for cancer.
- Inhalation Burns – Inhalation burns refer to damage to the lungs or respiratory tract as a result of breathing in heat, smoke, or chemical irritants. The term is more commonly known as inhalation injury or smoke inhalation injury.
- Electrical Burns – As the name implies, coming into contact with electrical current can cause these types of burns.
- Friction Burns – Occur when hard objects rub against skin – causing both an abrasion and a burn. These burns are common in bicycle or motorcycle accidents (and are often referred to as road rash)
COMMON CAUSES OF BURN INJURIES IN MICHIGAN
Burns can result from a number of different incidents and sources, including:
- Car Fires
- Electrical Fires
- Electrocution and Electrical Burns
- Gas Explosions
- House Fires
- Work-Related Burns
- Faulty Products Leading To Fires
- Smoke Alarm Failure
- Medical Negligence
Treatment for Serious Burn Injury
In other situations, doctors or other medical professionals may not cause the burn. But they do not properly treat the injury. So, they may be liable for these additional damages. Common treatment errors include:
- Skin Graft: To treat serious burns, doctors often transplant skin from one part of the body to another. These procedures are very delicate. Complications like infections and additional disfigurement are not uncommon.
- Dermabrasion: Similarly, when doctors scrape off damaged skin to promote healthy cell growth, complications may arise.
- Infection: After surgery, many doctors and nurses assume the riskiest part is over. But in many cases, the riskiest phase has just begun. Without diligent monitoring and a prompt response, a bacterial or other infection could quickly set in and spread throughout the body.
Damages in both kinds of medical malpractice burn claims often include compensation for economic losses, such as medical bills, and noneconomic losses, such as pain and suffering. Additional punitive damages may be available as well. Speak with a qualified personal injury lawyer in Michigan to explore your recoverable damages under law.
BURN INJURY RESOURCES
The Buchanan Firm provides burn survivors and families information and resources to live with a serious burn. Here are some examples of the information and tools provided:
- Pain Management
- Scar Management
- Nutritional Information
- Holistic Medicine
- Natural Medication
- Mental Health Care
- Financial Advice
- Insurance Matters
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Burn Units
- Burn Injury Support Groups
MICHIGAN BURN INJURY ATTORNEYS
Our burn injury attorneys help burn victims and their families in Grand Rapids and throughout Michigan.
We provide Michigan burn injury clients with information and answers to their questions, aggressively pursuing the reimbursement they need to pay medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages that occur from burn injury, chemical burn, gas explosion, or electrical burns in Michigan.
Our firm has successfully recovered large financial settlements for burn-injured clients. We understand what you and your family need to recover from a burn injury and move forward. Learn more about our attorneys and how we may assist you and your family. Call for a free consultation: 1-800-272-4080.